Dr Alwyn Kotze presents a short podcast on the BSH Good Practice Paper Preoperative patient blood management during the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic
The focus of this good practice paper is to highlight the challenges in provision of elective surgical services while SARS-CoV-2 remains prevalent in communities.
Dr Kotze discusses the good practice paper in three sections:
1) How the good practice paper is produced and which evidence is taken in account doing so
2) How we think pandemic times have changed our pathways especially concentrating on remote working and how we believe teams can and should prioritise different aspects inherent in a patient blood management programme.
3) Clinical subject matter pandemic specific on the following:
- management of preoperative anaemia
- bleeding risk assessment and investigation
- medication management of trying to reduce bleeding
Dr Alwyn Kotze is a Consultant Anaesthetist at Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust. Dr Kotze's clinical practices is a mixture of organ transplantation specifically liver transplants and providing other anaesthesia for surgeries.